Thursday, May 8, 2008

After Some Fresh N Fruitful Showers on My Sunburnt Brain

It is 8 May 2008, Thursday. I am in Kolkata. Is has rained in the evening. So, the weather has cooled down considerably and I feel like writing something just to celebrate the relief after a day of sticky heat. Why not ‘flirt’ with philosophy? With due respect to the wise reader’s scornful smile and legitimate feeling of irritation at my intellectual pretensions, there is reason to be optimistic, eh? Whenever the heat becomes unbearable, rain follows. So, I feel violently tempted to using clichés like silver linings to every cloud. Or, cloud-lining to every sultry day!
It follows that nature takes care of everything, if we don’t interfere much in the process. If one understands this, one feels relieved of the painful task of making one’s own choices and suffering the consequences thereof, like a devoted Nietzschean. One can leave the entire thing to nature, or to the mysterious power one calls God, for a more skilful management of life’s business. Bad faith? May be. But what relief! And who could handle one’s own business before birth or after death? Can we oversee the decomposition of our own bodies and distribute the elements properly or reassemble them to make another being with a new composition of old elements? Let Him/ Her (lest the feminists should take offence) who looked after my foetus and would supervise my decomposition, take care of the interim, i.e. my life.

No comments: